Friday 9 November 2012

Cashback: 10 Years To Johnny Cash's "American IV: The Man Comes Around"


There's something sad in Johnny Cash's album called American IV: The Man Comes Around, which is the fourth part of his project American Recordings, which he started at the mid 90's of the previous millennium. Cash was very ill when he recorded the songs on that album but I was impressed most by the songs he and Rick Rubin picked for this release. Covering a wide range of styles from new wave (Depeche Mode) through Classic songs (Beatles, Simone and Garfunkel) until Alternative Rock (Nine Inch Nails), Cash gave a minimalist new meaning for those songs with coulages like Fiona Apple, Nick Cave and Don Henley. My favourites from that album are listed below and it wasn't very easy, but above all of them is his cover to Hurt which gets a new interpretation from an old man point of view.

1) Hurt (Nine Inch Nails Cover)

In 5 words: Trent Reznor was surprised by this cover version
Favourite Line: And you could have it all, my empire of dirt. I will let you down, I will make you hurt

 


2) Bridge Over Troubling Water (Paul Simone Cover)


In 5 words: Bridge over Cash's shivering voice
Favourite Line: I'm on your side. When times get rough and friends just can't be found

 

3) Personal Jesus (Depeche Mode Cover)


In 5 words: Cash could be a great priest
Favourite Line: Your Own, Personal, Jesus. Someone to hear your prayers, someone who cares

 

4) In My Life (Beatles Cover)


In 5 words: When Englishmen meets American folk
Favourite Line: There are places I'll remember in my life though some have changed



5) Give My Love To Rose (Revised Version)


In 5 words: A Prisoner tale of homecoming
Favourite Line: Tell my boy his daddy's so proud of him and don't forget to give my love to Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment